View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 12:41 AM  
Shannonmcn
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Rehab-ing a rescue

Day 5: Wee man is moving a lot better, even managed a little vertical hop when he was scrabbling to get out of the cage during feeding time which is very positive. Less positive is that he's managed to stretch himself to reach the top mesh on the bin when he's standing on his sand jar (which he most definitely could not do before) and I've come in to find him dangling twice now. He's happy enough to be helped down and I've covered the sand jar with an eggbox since that's the only thing he could really hurt himself on if he fell.

Anyway, his ears are looking a bit flaky so suspicions of ear mites are growing. There's no sign that they're annoying him in any way, they don't seem irritated, no waxy buildup or anything and I haven't seen him scratching. No signs of any fur loss or thinning anywhere else either (he's remarkably plush). So question is, at what point is it worth the stress of a vet visit to get this checked? When I'm sure it's mites? When it doesn't clear itself in a week? Most of my reading is telling me that demodex mites are ubiquitous and they only become a problem at times of stress or inhibited immune system (which would be now so soon after a move) so stressing him out more is not what I'd like to do right now if it isn't absolutely necessary.

I'll try and get some photos tonight to see if I'm over or underreacting to this. My phone camera is garbage but we'll see.
Shannonmcn is offline   Reply With Quote