View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 10:02 AM  
Fluffagrams

Default Re: How to convince my parents to buy me a hamster?

Do you know what it is about hamsters that your mum is afraid of?

Some people's rodent phobias come from a fear of their skittishness or their fast movements in which case it may be beneficial to explain how Syrian hamsters tend to be less skittish and fast moving than the dwarf species but if it's a fear based on biting, then a Syrians bite can hurt more than a Dwarf's bite (I have been on the recieving end of both).

I have to say that persuading someone ith a phobia is not always an easy task as they themselves have to want to overcome that phobia or be ready to do so. I was terrified of dogs as a young child despite people's attempts to familiarise me with them but until I was in a place to allow that to happen it didn't get anywhere. I've overcome my phobia with dogs but I'm still afraid of horses and no amount of showing me photos or videos of horses will change that at the moment.

I think you may need to accept your mum's reluctance if your efforts to persuade her do not prove to be successful. You may be able to have a hamster in the future depending on your living arrangements but I think it's worth mentioning that many landlords restrict the types and numbers of pets owned too so it's not just a frustration that is exclusive to living with parents.
Fluffagrams is offline   Reply With Quote