View Single Post
Old 03-30-2019, 07:26 AM  
mangoandmimi
Little Miss Tinytoes

Default Re: Russian Hamster actually a roborovski?

Hi welcome. Robos do look and act quite different so you are probably right, but if you want confirmation a photo would help.

I don't know about a complete guide but caring for a robo isn't much different from a Russian, the main differences is they benefit from a large sand area, they like lots of hiding places but also need room to be able to run around as they are very active. They're also generally more difficult to tame. If the cage came from the pet shop chances are it is unsuitable unfortunatley. Robos actually do need a lot of room - yes they can be nervous animals but if the cage is kitted out correctly they also do really well in cages over 100x50cm. My robo is in a detolf for example - which is a cheap and good sized enclosure if you wanted to think about that. The other 'requirement' is bedding depth - minimum of 6 inches for a robo and most cages should allow for that amount.

Yes a cage change will be stressful, they always will be but it is important to get them into a proper cage. Maybe wait until he's a bit more settled and move him into a new one when you can. Like I said a detolf is an affordable option but not very portable, I also housed my robo in a zoozone 2 which was around £50 and it worked alright. If you can find a second hand fish tank those can also make good cages. Barred cages can work but only really lower ones like the hamster heaven. Not sure what your budget or DIY capabilities are though!

Not too sure about the wheel situation but if it's attached by string it doesn't sound great. Personally I don't think silent spinners are the best for robos, it's very easy for a robo to flip in the wheel and fly out. They do better in 8 inch wheels really - wooden trixie wheel, silent runner, wodent wheel are all fine.

Robos do best alone contrary to popular belief - they do not need a cage mate and it's uncommon that robo pairs stay together really so don't worry about that. Robo behaviour is a bit of a tricky one, I suppose you need to know your hamster really. Generally speaking any kind of pacing, short bursts on the wheel, jumping at cage sides might be signs of stress and if he's nervous he'll more than likely be hiding somewhere.

Last edited by mangoandmimi; 03-30-2019 at 07:36 AM.
mangoandmimi is offline   Reply With Quote