Thread: Winter White?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2019, 04:09 AM  
alpacassei
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Winter White?

It’s only Campbells and hybrids that are diabetes prone* but in purebred Campbells the risks of developing diabetes is significantly lower due to better breeding and genetics. Unfortunately diabetes isn’t necessarily caused by a poor diet, in the majority of cases it’s genetic (type 1, I beloeve?). A good diet can help manage the symptoms and delay onset but it won’t prevent diabetes. When owning a hybrid, it’s important to be aware of this risk so you recognise the symptoms and begin treatment sooner. I also believe it’s important to inform people before they buy a hamster what the health risks are for each species depending on whether they’re hybridised, pet store bred, ethically bred, etc so that they can make an informed decision.

Most of my research comes from my own experiences as well as those of other owners/l, rescuers and breeders, I can compile a list of evidence and research to back this but I’ll make my own thread as I don’t want to continue derailing this one.

I also want to make it clear that I have nothing against Russian dwarf hybrids or their owners, I have/had owned 7 in total. They’re amazing pets still and, along with WWs and Campbells, are of my favourite ‘species’ of hamsters.

*Chinese hamsters are also diabetes prone but they’re no longer classed as dwarf hamsters.