View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 05:00 PM  
frodo
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Where do hamsters like to be petted? Does yours? :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
Yes! Shes a fluffy little bear! she looks like one :3 it felt right to name her that <3

Hammy Bear is only 3 months old (I had her for 2!) shes only recently started to get really affectionate and I had to go through a months process of getting her to let me pet her lol... Shes a dwarf hamster so she doesn't like to sit still, AND! shes also a girl (girl hammies are less affectionate and more squirmy lol)

Maybe you can try the way I did?
Wait until they're really playful (Bear will be restless in her cage and will start pacing and will paw at me) and have some treats ready for them.
Don't start out by full on petting them (like you do to dogs and cats. Hamsters are small and scared creatures)...start by putting your hands in the cage so they can smell you and get used to your scent. Then when your hammy is curious of your hands, (If they're not curious you can use treats!) slowly try petting their whiskers so they can get used to your HUGE hands coming for them (try to move towards them from the side where their eyes can see you because moving towards from the top will make them think AH BIRD!) .. They'll be less scared being pet by their whiskers this way because they can feel their whiskers and their eyes are on the side so they'll be able to see AND feel AND smell (I guess lol) you petting their whiskers without actually harming or getting too close to your scared hammy.
When they start to get used to your hand being around them (you'll know when they stop flinching or stop being generally surprised by you touching or getting close to their whiskers) Then you can move on to their side of their head/next to their ear (its the next closest thing to whiskers) when they start letting you do that, you can move on the side of their belly (next closest after the head) and then when your hammy lets you after that you can pet them anywhere now :3

Don't forget to reward your hammy for all the good things they're doing! (letting you touch their whiskers/face/belly/etc,...) They'll start to associate your hands with treats! :3

BTW this is my personal process of having my hammy let me pet her. All hammies are different and might or might not work but also took time so be patient and have fun with your hammy
I tried touching his whiskers, he didn't like it ): He just thought I had food in my hand, and started climbing on me looking for the snack. I'll keep trying, but if he doesn't like to be petted, it wouldn't be the end of the world haha

He already associates my hand with food, he doesn't seem to mind me helping him scratching him on the side though
frodo is offline   Reply With Quote