View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 07:31 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

I have been staggering the meds in food. Putting the baytril out in the dog food at lunch time. Just a tiny pee sized amount. That's usually eaten by tea-time. I then put the pain meds out in a tiny pea sized amount of fruity or chickeny baby food - that doesn't taste bad like the baytril and is well disguised. That gets licked up overnight.

The other day I gave 3 separate meds as have started with probiotics too. So it was

Meaty dog food in Baytril 12pm
Metacam in baby food 5pm ish
Probiotic in a different baby food at bed time.

Because they eat such tiny amounts they won't eat a larger amount all in one go. Our robo eats the dog food in two goes. He eats the first bit straight away and the second bit later but it's all gone by tea-time so he's getting the Baytril.

The baby food is easily licked up and more watery.

If you put all three meds in one tiny bit of food it maybe tastes too much of meds?

Might be worth staggering them like that/above.

The stress of it all makes them worse and it has really helped me being able to put it in food.

She must be nearly finished with the Baytril now isn't she? How long were you supposed to give it for? If that has finished and you only have the two to give, I'd give them separately in food, staggered. Just in something really tasty like the baby food - I have never known a hamster not eat the baby food Much tastier than porridge Unless it had Baytril in then the flavour isn't strong enough to disguise it but it would be fine for Metacam.

If she's finished the Baytril and you can give the pain meds in food twice a day, staggered out, she'll have chance to settle and get over the stress and may start feeling happier and a bit better.

She is doing really well and she could well improve now if she gets chance to settle.

My Vet said if they didn't get all the metacam in one go (in food) it wasn't so crucial - it was the regular full dose of Baytril that was crucial.

I think getting the pain meds in baby food - even if spread out over a few hours, is working here xxx

Last edited by souffle; 03-19-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote