View Single Post
Old 03-17-2019, 03:30 PM  
Mish
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Bar biting in big cage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merle View Post
Hey there,

bar biting is for the most part a sign of stress, as you probably already know. But another reason a hamster might bite on bars or metal is out of habit. I had a few hamsters myself that started bar biting when with a previous owner or even when with the breeder. And no amount of floor space or different cages stopped them from biting metal. Even in wooden cages they looked for the few pieces of metal there and had a go at it.

Sadly I never found a solution for it. Every hamster is different though and some start biting bars and some don't. I guess you have to wait and see if it becomes a problem and then think about different cages or ways to prevent the hammie from getting to the bars.
That actually sounds like a valid reason because Pichu also loved to chew the metal on his water bottle, and he even managed to break one haha. One thing I didn't mention though is that he always chewed in the corners of the cage, never anywhere else. To me it seemed like he wanted to escape. But yeah now that I know it's harmful I will at least try to take measures to prevent it.
Mish is offline   Reply With Quote