View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 02:53 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Table smaller than hamster cage’s depth (Duna Maxi Multy)?

The hamster will just build a nest - with whatever they can find to build it with. They prefer to take it to the house rather than you put it in the house. In fact I’ve seen hamsters remove nesting from the house and then put it back again how they want to build the nest! Don’t use fluffy bedding though it’s very dangerous. Paper strips are the usual nesting material - you can buy bags of paper strips but toilet paper works fine. If you get Kaytee Clean and Cosy I’d get the white one. I bought some of the coloured recently to try out and it had a bit of an ink smell to me and our hamster expressed disgust! I think the smell will wear off when aired a bit maybe.

If you want to try Fitch you can buy a small 1kg bag in Amazon - it doesn’t go very far but a cheaper way of trying it.

Yes I have also had the Barney cage on top of the Kalisz and that is 54cm deep. The actual footprint of the cage base will be about 10cm less than the max cage width so not much more than the mall ax depth at all.

One thing I do have though is a large hemp mat on top of the kallax and under the cage - it stops the cage slipping around in case it’s knocked and makes it much more stable.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote