View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 05:25 PM  
mangoandmimi
Little Miss Tinytoes

Default Re: Table smaller than hamster cage’s depth (Duna Maxi Multy)?

Sorry - I don't have a 100cm cage and wasn't actually suggesting you get the kallax, I was just talking about the height. My tank is supported by 2 of the 2x2 kallaxes I meant. Probably be concerned about a 100cm x 50cm cage on there being stable enough but haven't tried it myself. I think I'd be too worried about knocking into a corner or something by accident.

I understand what you mean about the cages. Cages are tricky as they're not cheap and I think nearly all of us have had to upgrade or repurchase for one reason or another and it isn't ideal. I don't think staining in the eco habitat would be a problem at all - in there you would want at least 10 inches of bedding, it would be unlikely that pee would reach the base really. If you really wanted to protect it then a layer or 2 of Plastikote would sort the problem. Floor space is only one of the issues with the maxi multy as I reckon you'd only be able to get 4/5 inches of bedding in there with a wheel in, whereas you actually want to aim for 10-12" as they are burrowing animals.

I wasn't sure what you meant about bugs - do you mean mites or similar? Unfortunately that's always a risk when you have a hamster, natural setups are better for them. Cork, branches, wood, rocks, terracotta, different substrates etc are all different textures with unique smells which is a lot more enriching than plastic everything. They are also safe to chew which is really important, as plastic is not. So always best to use more natural items if possible. It might seem like a hassle thinking about potential bugs so it is a good idea to freeze everything for about a week before using it. Especially food, dried plants/herbs, cork tunnels and things like that that may carry bugs. That should kill off any nasties. Generally if you do get an infestation like that you won't need to bin everything, you can usually salvage most of it and probably just bin the worst.

An 11" wheel is probably fine for most Syrians. For larger Syrians you might need a 12" wheel.
mangoandmimi is offline   Reply With Quote