View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 05:00 PM  
halloumi
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Table smaller than hamster cage’s depth (Duna Maxi Multy)?

Thank you so much, guys! The Fjallbo coffee table does look nice, but quite honestly you guys have sold me on the Kallax - it is cheaper, a bit more versatile re: putting cute drawers/boxes in the storage, and provided it has proven to be stable for you guys with 100cm cages, then I'm happy!
If you are still in this thread, would you mind sharing which models you had? I appreciate the link, Serendipity, and MangoandMimi, you said yours was the 77cm model too? Also, how come it keeps the cage stable when there is a 30cm overhang? Because it is solid, with shelves, and shorter?

I really really do appreciate the suggestions, and also not completely shooting down my current preference towards the Maxi as well, thank you. The Alexander and Barney are certainly very very popular options online, but I really don't feel comfortable putting really deep substrate in it (as the plastic seems quite shallow), and again, the bars!

That German cage is beautiful, and I also like the look of the Eco Habitat (it actually used to be my first choice) and Falco. However, if I'm honest, I am quite nervous about wooden cages, urine, water bottle spills, and also the unfortunate event of that bug that means you need to get rid of all wooden items in a cage! I understand I seem quite OTT, but since owning a hamster almost a decade ago, I have unfortunately gotten very severe OCD. It is really calming down now, and the hamster is actually a bit of a treat to myself I will definitely be able to be a great owner, not afraid of getting dirty or dealing with bugs, but I suppose it is fair to say I am taking quite a few precautions prior to getting the little one!

Thank you for also reminding me about the imposing view a hamster can sometimes have of us - I think a 77cm high Kallax would be a great option for that reason. I also see the preference for a side door on the cage, however I actually do prefer the idea of a top one only, in case of escape (I know it's still possible though)! Plus, the Maxi Multy has a huge top lid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
But Mango and Mimi is right about the restrictions of the Maxi Duna. You effectively lose a chunk of the floorspace due to fitting the wheel in - but it's still a good sized cage, and the Hamster Heaven has the same issue and is a smaller cage.
Yes, I can understand the height is quite a negative. Having had a quick glance on Google, 12 inch wheels are recommended for rats and chinchillas! Of course, judging by the pet industry, and the fact the Maxi Multy is meant to be for guinea-pigs and rabbits, I'm assuming an actual rat/chinchilla would need something more like a 15 inch wheel In general, is an 11 inch wheel good for a small/medium/large Syrian? I will of course start researching that as soon as I've posted this reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoandmimi View Post
I agree - I don’t know what purpose that grill halfway up the tank is meant to have in the falco but I’d ignore it and fill it to the top, then raise the levels. With a couple extra ledges or shelves the fall height would be ok. Obviously any heavy items would need supporting from the base. Still can’t think why they didn’t think front access would be beneficial in a cage like that..!

I think the grill may be to prevent condensation? It is definitely a great suggestion.

As it stands, weighing it all up, I do still feel like the Maxi Multy could be the best suited to me. Of course, I haven't met my hamster yet and it may be that if they are extremely active or adventurous, I will swap it out for something with a bit more height. But, even with the wheel probably taking up a lot of floor space, I do plan to have some things they can climb/stand on, and ultimately they will be spending a lot of time out of their cage. And I'm sure it's no surprise that 10 years ago, none of my hamsters had cages 100cm long! I'm determined to make my hammy happy and it will have pleeeeenty of outside playtime in a playpen, etc.
halloumi is offline   Reply With Quote