View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 02:43 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

I think the Fjallbo coffee table looks perfect And a shelf under for storage too - nice looking furniture as well! The depth is fine. The other one I think wouldn't be as stable and also you'd have to lift the cage off the top to get inside it - and hamsters don't like their cage being moved. It's best to always leave it in the same place fairly permanently - unless you're going on holiday eg. I'd get the Fjallbo table.

The Maxi duna multy is a nice cage and as you say, no fall risks. There are barred cages that are a good size for a Syrian and also don't have fall risks though, as long as you have enough substrate in and set it up so they can't land on anything hard. I have the Barney cage from Zooplus. The Alexander is also a good cage but slightly taller. Extra height has pros and cons. With a slightly taller cage than the Maxi Duna you can have a good shelf inside and fit a wheel higher up the cage so there's still plenty of room for substrate underneath.

With the maxi duna you are limited with wheel height. A 28cm/11" wheel will fit - a 12" wheel won't fit. With an 11" wheel you need to have very low substrate in the wheel area for it to fit - and deeper substrate elsewhere - plus it's harder to fit a platform in and I think they do need a shelf or platform so they don't feel too exposed.

Most Syrians would be perfectly happy in the Maxi Duna, but some would be way more active and want more space. A slightly taller barred cage does allow for a bit more enrichment for activity etc. But the MAxi Duna is still a lovely cage and if you prefer the tank style then it's a good option.

This is the Barney cage.

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small...r_cages/189303

The internal height of mine is about 42 to 43 cm so it isn't really tall - especially if you have about 12cm of substrate in it (ie about 4" or more). It comes with a good shelf and a good sized house as well. I have a 12" wheel screwed to the bars so the top of the wheel sits just below the top of the cage and there is loads of room under the wheel for substrate.

But if you prefer the tank style then the Maxi Duna Multy is a good cage too

There are so many pros and cons. I think tank style cages look lovely - but I've found I much prefer having a front door on cage for easier interaction with the hamster and I like attaching all sorts to the bars.

Last edited by souffle; 03-15-2019 at 03:14 AM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote