View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 02:48 PM  
Abbiesw8
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Difficulties with new hamster

Hi, I am looking for abit of advice about my new hamster, Minnie, who is a Russian dwarf, she’s around three months old I believe. I’ve had Syrians in the past but she is my first dwarf hamster.
We’ve had her a week and a half. The first few days we left her to herself, and she would come out for short bursts peridiodically throughout the day and night, drinking, exploring, getting food. She didn’t use her wheel, I’ve given her a different wheel but she just pees on it, I don’t think she’s figured out how to use a wheel yet. After the first few days we’ve been talking to her, and placing our hand gently and still in the cage or at the bars, allowing her to sniff us. She would seem curious, sniff and then normally go back to bed. We did get her out the cage, using a mug, after having her for eight days to do some spot cleaning.
Since then we’ve seen her out a lot less and if she’s out and we approach the cage she will look at us then run away. We’ve tried talking to her, sitting and the cage and trying to coax her out to interact with her, so we can start taming her but we’re having a really hard time because she’s not giving us chance to interact with her. I don’t want to scare her or stress her out but I’m worried the longer she goes without being handled, the more nervous she’s going to become and the less likely she will be able to tame. Just feeling pretty frustrated really, any advice would be very much appreciated.
Abbiesw8 is offline   Reply With Quote