View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 03:00 AM  
Vectis Hamstery

Default Desiderata's Pregnancy Problems

Desi (short for Desiderata) is a beautiful sweet Chinese hamster. She was paired with Cohen, one of my boys, over 3 weeks ago and I was hopeful when she got round that my first Chinese hamster litter for over a year would soon arrive.

It wasn't to be.

Desi got rounder and rounder. Sunday was her last due date, and no pups arrived by Monday morning. Sometimes they can be a day or so later, but I booked a vet appointment for first thing today just in case. Still no pups, and she now has a little blood from her vent.

I spent a couple of hours on the phone to the out of hours vet last night while he tried to find out who could operate overnight, but it turned out that even the exotic on call vet wouldn't operate at night. Desi was still alert and active this morning (and very round) and she's currently with my regular vet having surgery.

There's not going to be any chance of the pups making it, but I'm really hoping Desi comes through. She's got the best chance as my vets have spayed Chinese before, but obviously it's risky.

Breeding's not all cute pups.