Thread: Nugget's thread
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 05:04 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Nugget's thread

Dear little Nugget. He was out at lunch time as usual. Despite having a lower shallow ramp I thought he had been avoiding it so put a bit of strawberry up there last night to see if he was using it. At lunch time I saw him really struggle up the ramp and he clearly has discomfort on his underside and seems to be walking to avoid it hurting.

I have started the Metacam (correct dose thanks to Vectis and after double checking with another vet as it is dog Metacam) - He should be having 0.01ml max of the dog Metacam. I am giving him one drop - which is slightly under 0.01 ml I reckon - such tiny amounts to sort. And thankfully he likes it. He didn't run away from the syringe - clearly the sweetness tempted him to investigate. He licked the drop from the end of the syringe and then wanted more and tried to bite the syringe

I will start the baytril when I receive the tasty stuff that Vectis recommended for disguising it. And try giving him it in a tiny bit of that food.

I don't know if it's tumour or infection but as he is clearly suffering some pain and discomfort now (except when running on his saucer or on the flat) I will use both and if the baytril doesn't help then it's a tumour.

He seems a bit more relaxed today and sat for a little chat. He does look a bit thin and raggy.

I will wait for the right moment to remove his ramp and shelf and have everything at floor level and flattened out a bit, so he can use his sand bath again - it's clear it has hardly been used recently (it's on the shelf).

I am not impressed with the vet for showing me the wrong marking on the syringe and telling me that was the amount to give (for both meds) as it was 10 times the prescribed dose. And in fact the prescribed dose of Metacam it seems is also incorrect. He needs 0.01ml of dog Metacam. If it was cat Metacam it would be 0.03ml. Double checked with another vet (and some expert advice on here thank you!).
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote