View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 04:55 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Baytril by injection?

Thanks to all who have helped me get the meds right! My vet made a mistake. The prescription on the bottles clearly shows 0.02 of Baytril and 0.03 of Metacam and that is also what she told me. However she gave me two small syringes to use and clearly pointed out the .2 and .3 markings saying that was the amount to give. It was only when drawing up .3 of metacam to put into some jelly, that I queried on here that it seemed like an awful lot. And thanks to help on here I was shown the correct marking on the syringe (which is a 1ml syringe) otherwise I may have given 10 times the dose.

I don't think I would have done that as, even though the vet said new thinking was hamsters needed more metacam and had been undermedicated previously - it was such a huge amount that I queried it.

Anyway having said all that I have still had to check the correct dose for the Metacam as it is dog Metacam I have been given which is 1.5mg per ml as opposed to the cat metacam which is 0.5mg per ml. The correct dosage for the dog Metacam is 0.01ml (max). The 0.03ml is for Cat Metacam.

So I am not impressed! I have started the Metacam with Nugget as today it is clear he is in discomfort underneath and really struggled to climb up a ramp. The good news is he likes it and licked a drop from the end of the syringe. So I am giving him one drop of the Metacam per day.

Will start the Baytril when I have the tasty dog food to mix it in.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote