View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 08:38 AM  
EmmaAndChester
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Baytril by injection?

My concern with the method your trying to use, with the issue of the fact that it’s a fortified cat food aside (which is still a problem, despite the fact others use it); 0.02 mls of baytril in a pea sized amount of wet food is going to be detectable, and you’re very likely to have problems with a robo taking a tiny bite and refusing to touch it again - or even just smelling it and running away. Judging by the reaction of my rabbits & hamsters when they were on the stuff, baytril tastes disgusting - and 0.02ml in a tiny bit of cat food... i just don’t see it going well. I know it’s not pleasant, but picking him up to administer the meds would be a much more reliable method - and you can dilute it (a little!) with some broth from a food like Applaws or cosmos nature to make it more palatable (because the country nature foods, if they are like AATU, and ground meat and will be difficult and messy work in a syringe).

0.02ml & 0.03ml are fine doses - I’m just concerned that you mentioned the vet has marked 0.2ml & 0.3ml on a syringe. If she’s advising you dilute it this much, That’s a lot of fluid to expect you to get down a robo on a daily basis. My female WW is on baytril & prednisolone at the minute, and she’s on 0.05ml of both - but she’s easily doubled the size of your average robo. There’s a huge difference between 0.03ml and 0.3ml - the first is a typical hamster dose, the latter is a rabbit dose for over a 2.5kg rabbit - so be careful!
EmmaAndChester is offline   Reply With Quote