View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 03:34 PM  
mikatelyn
Hamster Pup

Default Re: I have the hammie version of the guy from Memento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
I have never had a hamster walk on my hand when I put it in the cage - neither of our hamsters liked a hand in the cage. And they also began to sense it was a "trick" to get hold of them if I had food in my hand!

Our current hamster will eat off my hand or climb onto it out of the cage where he is less territorial.
That is really good to know!! I thought tame was when he would come to me when I called him and would walk on my hand essentially on command. I thought I was just really bad at taming, having had nearly no prior pet ownership experience.
Once I get him out of the cage either in a cup or in his igloo turned upside down, he'll usually walk out on my arm or hand. He's usually pretty calm, and doesn't ping. He used to be a lot more squirmy and run all over me and from hand to hand pretty fast, but lately, with the exception of just after the recent scent of freedom on the couch and then again with the play pen jailbreak, he's nice and sedate, and will often sit in the crook of my arm to be pet for a few seconds, or sit cupped in both hands to be transported.
I think I read on another thread, Serendipity, that you like a cage over an aquarium. Is the front opening door the reason?
I was considering getting a Critter Nation cage for the express purpose of having a front opening door so that it would be easier to attach a ramp for Smokey to walk out of the cage. It's almost exactly the same amount of square inches as my aquarium... so technically not an upgrade. Thus I'm having a bit of a hard time justifying the expense. I've noticed it's really difficult to find an appropriately sized cage in the US that has narrow enough bar spacing to keep a hamster from escaping.

https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Critt...critter+nation

I'm curious what most people who keep their hamsters in aquariums or detolfs do to get their hamsters out to play? Cup? Hamster crawls onto hand? Or crazy ramp structure so the hamster can walk out (should I build one? I'm kind of tempted.)
mikatelyn is offline   Reply With Quote