View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 03:13 AM  
Lonaa1x
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Dwarf hamster sudden biting (please read first not the same as others ive seen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
This does seem to be something that's peculiar to Russians & isn't related to pain or fear.
I wouldn't blow on her either tbh, just gently remove her from your finger, not always easy I know but I don't think blowing helps & it is unpleasant for them.
Sometimes it's just a phase they go through & if you can try to avoid giving her the opportunity to grab a finger at least for a while.
I've never figured out exactly why they do it really, there may not even be one specific reason. Some of them will gently take hold of your finger without biting & pull on it as if they want to drag your finger off to their nest or something which is quite amusing but some seem to do something similar but bite hard instead which just hurts!
When you interact with her out of the cage give her lots of opportunity to climb on you but avoid contact with fingers if you can, she may just get over it & stop again. In the cage you can try burying your fingers in the substrate so she can walk onto your hand without getting to bite fingers first.
Im not to sure why she does it either was just wondering if it was age. If i bury my fingers in the substrate she digs to find them to nibble them as that was another part of our game. She will only come out by biting nicely on my finger to be picked up so she can have a little wonder around and good nibble on the tip of my nose. Its like she just get overly excited like a dog does and then gets to rough.
Lonaa1x is offline   Reply With Quote