View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 02:54 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Best wheel for Tamburino cage?

To be honest I wouldn't use either of those foods. The first one - the main ingredient on the list is corn. You would be better just using Harry Hamster or Hazel Hamster (the formulas are identical although the percentages etc on the packs are slightly different as one has to meet Uk labelling regulations and the other has to meet US labelling regulations - for the way they are expressed). But the formula is identical. Some will say it is not the best food - but it does provide everything the need, is sugar free and the pieces are a good size for a Syrian. Plus they tend to take all of it.

With changing food though it needs to be done gradually. If she is still on the Mazuri I would gradually mix in a bit of Harry (or Hazel) Hamster during the first week, then half and half the second week then 2/3 HH the third week then switch over to HH. I wouldn't use either of the Kaytee ones - can you take them back for a refund?

House looks fine so if she's happy with that best to leave her for now. Just check that the round window is big enough - hamsters can get seriously wedged in round holes that aren't big enough. Ideally it needs to be 6cm diameter. 5cm might be ok depending how big she is - anything smaller than 5cm diameter is a risk - so then the window would need blocking off with a bit of wood glued over the top of it with pet safe glue.

Also it will give you more space in the cage to add other things and she is peeing outside the house which is good. Adding a platform of some kind would be good and will help her feel secure and come out more (because they like to have something overhead they can sit under - exposed space above can make them feel nervous.

Tricky to find free standing platforms that fit well. Do you have a photo of the current cage layout? After seeing that, may be able to suggest whether or not it would be good to put the long built in house back or not (as well as existing house). She may move into it if it's put back and it makes a bit of a level - but without it you have more scope for setting up the cage.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote