View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 04:18 PM  
alpacassei
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Breeding Winter Whites

Hybrids exist because humans wanted more colours of Russian Dwarfs and/or mixed up the two species since they look similar.

The average life expectancy of a hybrid in my experience is between 6 months and 1.5 years and most of them will die from diabetes or other genetic complications rather than old age. Red-eyed argentes and similar colours seem to have the worst life expectancies based on my observations.

Out of my 4 hybrids that have passed away, only Stephano passed of old age (and I nearly lost him to his allergies several times) at age 2. Francisco died most-likely of a genetic heart defect at 6 months, and Marcello and Mishka both died from diabetes complications at 4 months and 1.5 years). My current 3 are all healthy but they’re closely monitored for signs of illness and diabetes. From what I’ve read of others’ hybrids, my experiences are common.

Breeding mills dont care though, what matters to them is quantity over quality and sadly a lot of people consider hamsters to be cheap throwaway pets like goldfish
alpacassei is offline   Reply With Quote