View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 10:41 PM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: New hamster won’t come out of his house

Good advice from Quicksilver, don't try to go too fast, one step at a time!
Get him used to your voice & you being around the cage first, if they're nervous I often talk to them then leave a treat by the house or wherever they're hiding then walk away so they can come out & get it, that helps them associate you with good things, once they get a little more confident offering treats either through the bars or with your hand unmoving just inside the door is the next step.
Once he's got a bit more confident you might want to find a tube or box or something he's happy to climb into so you can safely transport him to the playpen. Keep sessions short to begin with, 5 or 10 minutes might be enough, just let him get used to coming to your hand, climbing on or maybe even just running over them at first before you begin to pick him up. Put some toys in the playpen for him to explore & you could put his wheel in there too.
I wouldn't put him in the ball, many hams get very scared in a ball, it doesn't offer them any benefit really & doesn't give you any opportunity to interact & bond with him.
❤️
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote