View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 04:51 PM  
Clare UK
Newborn Pup

Default Changing foods and losing weight.

My dwarf hamster is 15 months old and has been fed Burgess Dwarf food since he was born and has had no problems with it. Now Burgess are no longer making that food i've been trying to find him an alternate diet and i'm struggling.

He has lost 5 grams over the last few weeks I've been testing foods and I'm unsure what to do. I've given him a full health check and he physically seems fine his teeth look perfect (give him his favourite treat and it's gone in moments), the bite marks on my thumb suggest they are sharp enough too. He's just picky.

I started adding a small amount of Bunny Dwarf HamsterDream Expert to his usual Burgess food and he didn't seem very interested but I carried on slowly introducing the Dream Expert to him until his lunch was 50/50 old and new food. That is as far as we have gotten and somewhere along the way he's lost the weight.

Should I carry on feeding him this mix or try another brand? I know in the past I've tried mixing Harry Hamster into his food for a little variety evey now and then and he would leave piles of the pellets, whatever the biscuits are and whole corn pieces. I've also tried adding science selctive biscuits in the past but I would count how many I put in his bowl and that exact number would be there untouched the next day.

I have a couple of bags of Burgess stored away but at some point he is going to have to change foods.

Any advice would be helpful.
Clare UK is offline   Reply With Quote