View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 12:47 PM  
Quicksilver
Hamster Pup

Default Re: New hamster won’t come out of his house

Hi Kerry2894 - welcome to Hamster Central. You've come to a great place to get advice. I have some experience with hamsters (though I myself am relatively new at all this so other forum members will no doubt with many more years experience be able to give you more detailed advice).

You've done the right thing in giving your new hamster time to settle into its home and surroundings (hamsters have a great sense of smell and hearing I believe too but not great sight). Coming home for the first time must is very scary for them and it takes time to settle in. Every hamster is different.

What's your hamsters name by the way?

When we had our previous hamster Ralph, we gave him over a week to settle in and then very slowly started to get him used to initially our voices (I would quietly speak to him by his cage), very slowly from this moved onto getting used to sense of my smell by slowly placing my hand in the cage (no sudden movements and let your hamster come to you on their terms to smell you). From there I think we tried to give a food treat from our fingers once our hamster became more confident of us, and knowing we are not something to be feared of. Hamsters can bite obviously, they nibble when investigating and can bite when scared. It just takes time and you need to be patient. Our current hamster, Tali (Syrian female) is adopted from Pets at Home, we've had her since May last year and still working on being able to pick her up, we can however stroke her easily and hand feed her food whilst our previous hamster Ralph loved being handled and cuddled.

It's normal behaviour for your hamster to be scared at first and you have to go along at the hamsters pace.

What helped us was also the looking at the hamster taming videos on YouTube by ErinsAnimals and HoppingHammy. They have many years experience on hamster care.

Hamsters are amazing animals, with all different kinds of personalities.

I wish you well with your taming.