View Single Post
Old 02-02-2019, 04:20 AM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: I have the hammie version of the guy from Memento

I know just what you mean, it can be frustrating when you can't seem to make things better & feels much more positive when you can try some new things that might help!
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the scatter feeding has made him more active already, foraging is natural behaviour for them & they really enjoy it.
Diabetes is very rare in Syrian hams it's only Russian hybrids, Campbell's Russian & Chinese hams that are prone to diabetes so no need to worry about that.
He's unlikely to fill up on the millet if you put a spray in, sometimes when somethings new they'll eat more of it but most likely it will just be a nibble now & then.
Mile bones aren't that healthy for them, if you can get a whimzee dog chew (the toothbrush ones are most popular) it would be worth a try, most hams do love them.
They do love walnuts, he must have thought that was a real treasure! It's good to give them nuts now & then, a piece of brazil nut is good too, mine quite like cashews & love pine nuts, have you tried a monkey nut? If you make a little hole in the end so they can really smell the nut inside they will spend ages on those, I put mine on a hanging skewer/kabob thing so they have to really work for it!

He is a very cute little guy! His colouring looks lovely in that last one too.
❤️
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote