View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 10:09 PM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: I have the hammie version of the guy from Memento

Sorry to hear taming is taking so long with your ham, some do need a lot more time & patience than others & it can seem as though you're not making progress for quite some time but they do slowly get more confident.
Do you mean you're not leaving any food in the cage at all & only feeding by hand? That would be stressful for him, they do need to have a good supply of food available at all times.
You could try scatter feeding him rather than using a bowl which will encourage him to come out more to forage but whichever way you do it keep plenty of food in the cage all the time.
You can take some of the tastiest bits out of the food, things like sunflower seeds & use them for hand feeding & try some other nice, healthy treats for encouraging him to take food from your hand.
I would just keep getting him out for play time, try to find a time that works for both of you if you can.
I wouldn't change his cage now, it does sound as though he's making some progress & a big change would only set him back, the cage is a good size but how happy & confident they are can depend on the way the cage is set up as much as the size.
Do you have a photo of his cage?
How often do you clean his cage? If you clean too much too often that stresses them out so just spot clean pee but other than that only do partial cleans when needed, part of the cage once every few weeks or a month is fine, leave the nest & food hoard alone unless they get peed on, if you do have to clean the nest always put some of the old nest back & the same with the hoard.
❤️
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote