View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 02:40 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Lets See Your Bin Cages!

It sounds like the height is the issue for fitting a 12" wheel. And it is hard to find bins tall enough and large enough. Are you in the US? Have a look at this link - there are some lovely bins on there! Some look very professional and use metal bolts and washers to attach the mesh, rather than cable ties.

I think it would be very difficult to extend the lid to fit a 12" wheel - and still make it safe and escape proof. So it needs a taller bin really. Or - do you actually need a 12" wheel? And 11" wheel could be fine unless it's a really large Syrian. The Silent Runner ("Runner" not "Spinner") is the most popular 12" wheel - silent and not too bulky depthwise and has a safe sturdy stand. That is 35cm tall on its stand.

The most compact 11" wheel height and depthwise, is the 27cm (11") wodent wheel - which is about 32cm tall I think.

The thing is - if the wheel fits the bin heightwise - only just, then you will need one end of the bin with very low substrate - to fit the wheel - and deeper substrate in the rest of the bin. Which means you need a good length bin to have enough of an area with a good depth of substrate. I look at it as substracting the 15cm or so length where the wheel would go at one end with low substrate - and having a further 70 to 80cm min floor space after that.

So ideally you'd be looking at a bin 90 to 100 cm long and at least 40cm deep (wide).
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote