View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 01:51 AM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: Question about cage cleaning when den is part of a tunnel system

I think the problem might be with cleaning & changing things around stopping her from settling on one pee spot.
If she pees in the wheel it's fine to leave for a while, my Chinese have all peed in the wheel constantly & I just clean it once a week, if it gets too smelly you can just give it wipe down with a damp paper towel between times but it shouldn't need it.
When they pee in the sand it tends to clump up & you can usually lift those clumps out fairly easily, the little shovel thing(?!) that you get with some litter trays is good for that I've also used an old tea strainer to just scoop it out. That way you rarely need to completely replace the sand.
Don't worry about where she poos, that is often in the nest or with the food hoard sometimes just scattered about especially near the wheel but as it's dry you can leave it for quite a while without it being a problem.
I would just try to avoid cleaning or changing anything for a while & wait & see if she sticks to one place for peeing, it's such a little bit if you can't find it right away it's not going to get too wet in there, when you do fine it it's probably best not to clean it out entirely, if you leave just a little bit of peed on substrate/sand or whatever she goes on it might encourage her to keep using the same place.
All my Russian boys just had the one nest & were very good either peeing in a little sand tray in the house or in the sand bath but my female always had 5 or6 nests at any one time! Once she'd got everything as she wanted it she stuck to peeing in two places & didn't change so maybe just give it some time & see what she decides to do.
❤️

Last edited by cypher; 02-01-2019 at 02:01 AM.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote