View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 01:25 AM  
buttercuplols
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Question about cage cleaning when den is part of a tunnel system

Hi again guys! mikatelyn, you are most definitely not alone in being totally befuddled by them and what's best to do sometimes! I'm so confused on how to spot clean for a few reasons. Don't know where the pee is half the time. And her burrows being damaged.

Oh, cypher! Your response really made me laugh....

'What's Hesper up to?'

Goodness only knows!!!!! She's a tiny nutter!

First week she slept in her big terracotta house and peed in her wheel. I cleaned the wheel.

She peed in the house next. I downsized the house to a dwarf one to give her more cage space and put a potty next door and I couldn't find wee for ages. Plus she got the hump about the house change, packed her small hamster bags and moved her nest to under a bendy bridge (I keep thinking of Red Hot Chili Peppers about this!!)

I then found some pee in her sand bath and she has been using the house as a small hoard and to poo in (I thought they weren't in control of this?!) After this I changed the sand in the bath for fresh sand and she stopped using it as a potty then?!

I think she's going in one of her tunnels or potentially in her nest which I don't want to disturb again if I can help it due to the upset last time.

Soooo currently she poos in the house, sleeps under a bridge and who knows where she wees???!!! I would like to spot clean but I've no idea where to start as she's so confusing and I don't want to go digging through her nest or all the substrate as she's spent so long making lovely burrows and tunnels! I've now had her about 8 weeks I think. It's not too smelly or anything as it's loads of Fitch but I'm wondering whether to do a partial change Erin-style to try and work out what's going on and I'm considering putting the bigger house back in after all.

So sorry to waffle on your thread mikatelyn but I did think it was kind of relevant for you to see the madness I'm contending with too! I will post a pic of Hesper's cage on her thread at some point later too and would welcome suggestions regarding the layout, house situation and anything else, of course!
buttercuplols is offline   Reply With Quote