View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 02:35 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Detolf Lid Measurements

The easiest way is probably just to measure the interior of the detolf when it's assembled.

So take the interior length and divide it by 2. (eg 82cm) Then get four pieces of wood cut to that length - less a couple of mm on each length (to allow them to fit together easily.

You then need to measure the width (short side) of those four lengths of wood. So if the wood is 10cm wide and you have two lengths for each lid then 10cm x 2 is 20cm.

So you then take the measurement for the internal depth of the detolf (above the bars) and deduct 20cm from that (eg if the measurement is 37cm - 20cm then you need four pieces of wood that are 17cm long).

So the short pieces sit inside the long pieces - I would get the short pieces cut exactly the right length and just use some sanding paper to reduce the length slightly so they fit tightly between the long pieces without gaps.

You can get little corner brackets with screw holes in and a screws that go with them and just join each long and short section with the corner brackets.

This method allows the detolf lid to sit on the bars inside the cage (which is why you measure above the bars).

1cm mesh is usually used by most people - it's sold on a roll usually and you just ask for a piece large enough to be cut off.

Seriously I would just buy a stapler! An ordinary household stapler does the job fine. Get soft pine wood for the wood and the staples should go in easily.

I have seen the lids painted and don't know what people use. I would think it would be cheaper to just leave it wood coloured and that looks quite nice. If you really wanted to paint it then personally I would only use plastikote - and it would take quite a lot. Some people have used Cuprinol garden shades - but I am still not 100% about that. I believe it is sold as non toxic but that might just be non toxic to the environment rather than to pets and I would be concerned if it was safe to chew.

So - I'd say - a few pots of plastikote! Might be worth it though as some of the colours are really nice. I have garden green on Newt's shelf.

Erin's Hamsters just used a normal household stapler opened out flat. But you can actually get a proper staple gun for £10 with the staples which would make the job easy and probably cost the same as u nails and a hammer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Staple-VOKI...n+with+staples
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote