View Single Post
Old 01-21-2019, 11:22 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Kerry Terrarium and 80 x 50 (Savic Mickey 2XL) cage comparison

It depends on the Hamster partly Our current Syrian is an avid digger and tunneller - our last one didn’t bother stall as long as he had a nice big house that mimicked a burrow. At one point when he only had a little house and a lot of substrate he did dig a tunnel and a burrow but always looked a bit ears down coming out of it and it was a stinky mess! I came to the conclusion he only did it to feel safe and under something - didn’t like the open space - the exit of his tunnel cane out in the little house, so that was his “porch” lol. With a big house that was dark inside he never dug again! Whereas our current Syrian has the same big house and loves it but still likes to dig underneath it - although not tunnels exactly - more to bury things. So my theory is most Syrians will dog tunnels and burrows in deep substrate if there isn’t an adequate shelter or house to nest in - but if you provide them with a good house it’s a burrow substitute - so I think the amount of substrate you can fit in a cage base is fine for a Syrian as long as there’s enough floor space.

Our Robo is a natural tunneler but again uses his labyrinth house now - although does have aliitke tunnel elsewhere.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote