View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 10:39 AM  
AnnaJoey
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Help me with these materials, please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
This is the Ponal I have. It is a large bottle and I've had mine for 2 or 3 years and still loads left, so it's worth paying for. I love the stuff. No noxious fumes and safe for pets and it sets wood like nothing else. I would suggest it would be better and safer than Gorilla Glue (having read the ingredients of Gorilla glue!). If you do use Gorilla glue then any fumes need to have worn off before putting the shelf in the cage and there mustn't be any residue showing at all that could be chewed. Even then if they chew the wood they could technically get at some glue. Once the fumes have worn off it shouldn't be toxic unless eaten.

Personally I am happy to have found a really good wood glue that isn't nasty (I don't like the fumes myself and don't have to worry about getting it on my hands a bit).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000S697..._t3_B000KJKK4C

Hardboard sounds ok.

Lolly sticks would not be stable enough.

This kind of thing would be ideal - 25mm thick (ie 1 inch thick) 20cm long. Four costs £6.25

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wooden-Ha....c100505.m3226

Actually you can buy a very good large platform for about £10!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Natu...living+shelter

Or two next to each other. Very sturdy and safe - no glue - the legs screw into the base into pre-drilled holes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
I would stick with tried & tested things that are known to be safe, I love my ponal glue too I have to say & though a bit of an investment well worth it, Plastikote has been used for so long I would stick with that (there are various types of modge podge & I'm not sure which you were referring to but I wouldn't use that) for just one shelf a small pot of the Plastikote water based enamel is way more than enough & not that expensive really.
Not sure about hardboard tbh, I've never looked into that.
I always use dowels for legs on shelves, houses etc, you can get different lengths so may not even have to cut to size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
I'd get the Trixie platform It's very popular. Or two. As Cypher says, safety comes first. There are loads of lolly stick creations and they are quite dangerous some of them as they can collapse on a hamster. Check how long mod podge takes to set as well - I read something that said it can take 2 to 3 weeks to cure. Plastikote is dry in a couple of hours although I leave it 24 hours between coats and then a few hours after the second coat, to make sure it isn't a sticky finish.
Right, okay. I'll definitely steer clear of the mod podge then, and I'll order some ponal. Does it matter which type of ponal - I've looked at the one linked but there are also loads of others!

The lolly sticks are actually nothing to do with the building process at all - I was going to stick them to the ramp leading to the second floor so it's easier to grip hold of. Not to mention the fact I'm too impatient for those impressive models people make out of hundreds of sticks 😂

I was looking at different platforms like the one suggested but I came to the conclusion I'd rather make it myself so that I could shape it the way I want it to be. And the pole I bought is actually like the dowel that was attached here, just a darker colour.

The only thing I'm worried about with the plastikote is that it's so small!! I picked up an aerosol one today and it's tiny! I know you said you can cover a shelf easy but I can't believe it!! 😂
AnnaJoey is offline   Reply With Quote