View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 01:28 AM  
AnnaJoey
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Help me with these materials, please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoandmimi View Post
I can't say I'm entirely sure about plywood or types of plywood, lots of people do use it but it is bound by glue which isn't ideal. Cardboard really won't last. Pine is quite thick generally but would be better. If you are just after a rectangular platform you can buy untreated pine tray boxes off ebay, that way they have a lip. I have one and filled it with sand. With shelves higher off the ground it is better to put a kind of fence around them especially with dwarf hamsters, as they have very little depth perception and will often jump right off.

Ponal glue is strong & will hold anything, it is quite expensive but I do think it's worth it. Gorilla glue - last time I checked it contained an ingredient that expanded in water & would cause serious damage if ingested. There is a load of information about it online but not sure if it's for different types of gorilla glue or not. Either way probably not safe!

For legs, dowelling works, the long rods that you can cut to size. They're cheap too.

A bit of plastikote actually goes quite a long way. For a regular shelf it should be enough. The PVA method on top of paint certainly doesn't sound ideal, I'd just stick to plastikote.
I actually meant to say hardboard, not card board !! Haha, I know for a fact that Joey world fall right through the cardboard as he's quite a big ham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
I would also stick to plastikote - it's the only one I know that is safe and virtually odour free. A small bottle should easily do two coats on one side of a full level.

The issue with plywood is the formaldehyde in the glue used to make the plywood. The Germans use birch plywood that is supposed to have non toxic glue as well. If you can find some non toxic hardwood plywood (as opposed to softwood plywood), that would probably be easiest.

Untreated pine is fine but can be a bit thick and heavy for a full level - you would need good screw fixings.

On the other hand, plywood plastikoted should be sealed which would help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
I second ponal for glueing wood - it doesn't smell of anything and is really good wood glue - also non toxic - the Germans use it

Any kind of dowels would do for legs - wider ones would be easier so there is more surface to stick to the bottom of the level.
(Answering all three)
Thank you for the suggestions. I had a free day yesterday so whilst my post pended review I did some more research and then went down to the diy and hobby stores.

I did read that someone had actually contacted the gorilla glue company in reference to the glue that i was wishing to use and it had been confirmed that the particular glue should be animal safe as it had been made to make animal hutches. I do think I know which glue you mean that expands tho - I am a fan of the band and previously I have a glue that does expand which is useful for fixing many things.

I also read that many people had tried pod podge for sealing their wood as it is water based, child friendly and non toxic.

I also found some hardboard sheets which are a kind of fibreboard - nice and light. Another thing I'd read that many people had used and deemed safe. So whilst I was out I thought I would buy the hardboard sheet, lollipop sticks, gorilla wood glue, mod podge and a hardboard curtain rail that I could use as legs, with the thought that I can return anything that would be deemed unsuitable.

If anything stands out (although I will look into the German glue) let me know?
AnnaJoey is offline   Reply With Quote