View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 05:06 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Is my syrian hamster losing hair?

I just give a "pinch" of flax seeds on a separate dish to our hammy's main food mix (he has his veg on the separate dish too) - keeps life interesting. ie what you can pinch between your finger and thumb. Hammy's seem to really like them (also called Linseeds). I believe the brown ones are better. Since giving them to our Syrian his coat is gorgeous and thick and soft - I put a few out daily.

I don't know much about long haired hamsters but it could be that they moult a bit on occasion - although if it's on the back it is common for it to be wheel rub.

Our hammy got very mangy last summer with some hair loss - but it seemed to be the very hot weather causing a bit of a moult as all normal now.

It might be an idea to get a bigger wheel whether it is that or not - they run much better in an 11" or 12" wheel and less chance of rubbing. Plus long haired hamsters are bulkier with all that hair.

If you're in the US, Exotic nutrition sells the 12" silent runner which is a brilliant wheel. If that's too tall for your cage, they also sell the 11" wodent wheel.

This is a photo of a long haired hamster in an 8" and an 11" wheel - it's supposed to be for demonstrating they need a larger wheel to run with a straight back, although some depends on the size of the hamster.

Actually I can't post the photo yet - I'm on the wrong computer!
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote