View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 09:30 AM  
mangoandmimi
Little Miss Tinytoes

Default Re: My hamster is always trying to escape when she’s in an 800 sq inch cage.

She was burrowing a bit there at first, are you sure she doesn’t usually dig? The deeper section of bedding isn’t deep enough for a Syrian to burrow in either, I would fill it right back up. Often they do burrow but it’s not always easy to see where or when they do. Adding deep bedding can make a huge difference especially for Syrians & their boredom levels I’ve found.

Apart from that some of the toys can’t really be used properly, the toilet paper tubes for example. You could look into replacing them with more interesting items, I try to add as many different textures and types of toys in my cage as possible, different substrates make a big difference too. A dig box with some kind of sand or eco earth usually goes down well. Just removing items she climbs on to escape isn’t going to help in the long run as she’ll just get more bored, maybe experiment with a few different set ups a bit - no sudden massive changes though - but it can take a while to get to one you’re both happy with.
It is difficult when they always want more and nothing seems to be enough but that’s just how they are I’m afraid!
mangoandmimi is offline   Reply With Quote