View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 05:30 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Listen to your hamster!

When they are trying to tell you something! They may not be able to speak but looks and actions do.

Last night Nugget's (robo) ladder/ramp had fallen down - he had clearly been digging under the bottom end which dislodged it. As it happened I had a sleepless night so was up in the night and saw him doing hamstery things and he kept coming over to the front of the cage as if to talk to me. I think the ladder had already gone down and I hadn't noticed.

This morning he was out in the cage mid morning (unusual) and again kept looking at me - then looking at his veg plate, then nudging his nose at his hanging thing (which sometimes has a treat on). I said - no it isn't feeding time, you had that last night - but decided to give him a little bit of cheese as a treat. Held it out to him and he didn't take and didn't seem interested it but still kept looking at me. Now this is unusual - normally he'd run and hide from my hand and would grab the cheese. I thought - he is being very brave and giving me very long looks.

I then saw the ladder and righted it and Nugget started to go up the ladder, a few cm then sort of struggled a bit then came over and looked at me again. I was thinking - what are you trying to tell me!

Eventually I got the message! He couldn't get to his food bowl on the shelf last night and was trying to tell me.

I have no idea what the bit about starting to go up the ladder and struggling was but watched him for a bit in case he couldn't climb or something - which he can - perfectly well.

Anyway I am taking it he is not happy that the ladder came adrift and is nervous about it. So I decided to change it and put his cork log/ramp back instead of the ladder - had to move a couple of things to achieve that but similar to before. Nugget had a good checkover of the changes, tested out the ramp - and then went into his house.

So if your hamster is acting differently and nudging things or pointing their head at something and then looking at you, or suddenly very active at a certain time of day when they aren't usually - listen to what they're trying to tell you! They really can communicate.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote