View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 01:20 PM  
Andyg
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Male hamster pair behaviour

Hello again.

Phew.... glad we won't be having any pups. We currently have 3 hamsters - we also have a rescue hamster.

We have tried and failed to take a photo of Eric's bits. The light isn't that good for the phone camera and he got a bit stress while I was trying to hold him still enough - so we gave up. However, I have no doubt he is a little male hamster. He also has the prominent scent gland and I can clearly see his testicles.

So, I wonder if his behaviour is hormone driven? He didn't do it about 5 weeks ago. Some nights he won't leave Ernie alone and other nights he doesn't seem bothered?

I know he is small - but there is always food in the bowl, and veggies and at least one millet at the side of the cage, so he can always munch on something. There is also a food stash in the common area of their house. They are quite happy to sit in the same food bowl and feed/collect new seeds. That said, Eric never seems to have any food in his cheeks.

So, I am a at a bit of a loss, and as they don't appear to be doing anything really nasty (it looks like he is licking him to be honest - and he always licks us - we call him Mr Licky) we don't know what to do. If they didn't get on well at all, we would separate them..... but they do apart from this behaviour he displays from time to time.

Thanks

A

Last edited by Andyg; 01-11-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Andyg is offline   Reply With Quote