View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 07:07 AM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: New to this!!!! Opinions(:

I know finding good cages in the US is difficult & most people opt for bin cages or tanks, a 20 gallon tank is a bit on the small side but I agree it ok as a starter cage, it might be worth looking out for sales as I think they are often sold cheap & you may get lucky with a larger tank at an affordable price.
I also agree that one large space is better than two tanks connected, it can be difficult to connect them safely & in a way that is easily accessible without the tubes taking up too much space as they need to be at quite an angle for little furry feet to climb easily!
It is hard to comment without being able to see photos, not sure how long or how many posts it is before you can share photos but maybe you could try again later.
I use a 9" wheel for my Russian hamsters 8" is fine but I wouldn't use anything smaller.
A sandbath is important for dwarf hams so if you don't have one do add one to your set up using the sand already mentioned.

Just in case you don't know already your ham will be a Russian hybrid (cross between a Winter White & a Campbells) as no pure bred hams are available in pet stores, they are prone to diabetes so take care with the diet, it needs to be free of sugar, no honey or fruits.
❤️
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote