View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 05:18 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Hamster cage size

Our Syrian is in a 100cm x 54cm barred cage. Our Robo is in an 80cm x 50cm cage with narrow bar spacing. I would prefer him to also be in a 100cm cage but he is fine in the 80cm one.

For me 100cm cage is the sweet spot - plenty of space for enrichment and for them to keep reasonably active in the cage and also space for larger items like labyrinth houses or more than one wheel, plus a good depth of bedding.

Question 2 - this can depend on the personality of the hamster - for some syrians - no cage is big enough! Most are happy with 100cm cage. Some dwarf hamsters are very shy and don't like too much space - others are very active and confident and enjoy a large cage. My thoughts are - go with a 100cm cage - it can have areas blocked off with deep bedding and be made more cosy if a hamster is shy - and it's a good basic size for a Syrian.

Q3 - Zooplus have a good range of reasonably priced hamster cages that are good sizes - the Barney, Alexander and Alaska are all popular. Savic make the 100cm Savic Plaza also (sold by Pets at Home in the Uk but also in Europe).

Just wanted to add that the set up and enrichment is important - a large cage without much in it isn't good for a hamster. And it's important that they have a good sized house/nesting box in the cage so they can build a big nest and have somewhere dark to retreat to - and a shelf or platform.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote