View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 05:24 AM  
glitterkate
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Just joined the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Fitch is great stuff. Like Carefresh but better and cheaper and no dust I get the 10kg bag.

Watched your video and the bin cages are a great size. I love the idea of the bars on top for the ventilation. However, without wishing to be picky - bin cages do need a lot of ventilation and most people cut two side panels and mesh them as well as the lid. So at some point it could be good to increase the ventilation. Hamsters can be prone to respiratory problems without good ventilation.

Also the shredded paper from shredders can be a bit sharp and give paper cuts, so not really recommended. Plain white toilet paper sheets torn into strips and in a big heap in the cage, goes down well - and they pouch it and take it to the nest. If you use Fitch they use a bit of that for nesting as well as the toilet paper.

The hamsters look to be enjoyng their new cages and exploring them and look lovely and tame Youtube can be a funny place so you may get some comments about always using chinchilla sand and not dust As well as the nice comments!
we're hoping to keep learning- since posting the video we've seen about using kids play sand for the baths? the dust we use doesn't seem exceptionally "dusty" but its pricey so this seems like a great option if cheaper & safer!

the newspaper - we're thinking of using it to make boredom breaker toys maybe. not sure yet.

as for youtube, i wanted to add our video to the masses of hamster videos, just because everyone always sounds so knowledgeable on there and we couldn't really find any videos from beginners out there who are just getting into it! maybe we'll do an "update" one in a few weeks, with more stuff we've learned lol!
can't thank people enough for all their suggestions & comments! Our syrian and two russians are wonderfully tame, but our robo is very skittish & we've decided to not attempt any further taming with him as its too distressing for him, but he's great fun to watch! x
glitterkate is offline   Reply With Quote