View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 12:09 AM  
SaltCrow
Newborn Pup

Default Hamster suddenly wobbly, acting disoriented

My Syrian hamster Captain was acting fine last night. However tonight he is the complete opposite; he is in a ball and acts disoriented when he tries to walk.

(Last night) We’re still working on taming so I picked him up to hold him for a few moments. I noticed that he was incredibly thin and I could feel his spine clearly. A few days ago is when I held him last and he weighed considerably more. But he was happy, stuffed his pouch with all of his food and ran on his wheel all night so I had no immediate concerns. I gave him a few leafs of spinach to give him added nutrition until I could get a more suitable option.

When I awoke this morning he was still active on his wheel which isn’t normal; usually he’d be asleep until the early evening. I didn’t think much of it. Around 11pm I was going to sleep, but he wasn’t awake which is abnormal. I fed him which would normally draw him out, but it didn’t. I ended up checking his nest only to find him curled in a tight ball, looking disoriented. I picked him up and he put up no fight which is extremely abnormal. He could barely walk and was stumbling on my hand. I set him on the floor which is his dream, and he perked up and started investigating but he would run straight into objects or my hands and sit there. I checked for wet tail; all I saw was a little ball of poo stuck to his tail which is probably from him sleeping all day. From what I’ve seen he doesn’t appear to have wet tail.

I gave him a tiny piece of carrot and it took him about 10-15 minuets to eat it. Often it was as if he forgot what he was doing and he’d hold it but sit there. He’s currently sitting in a ball, head tucked low.

I’m considerably worried and as it’s 12am now there are no vets open that can see him. I’m not sure if he’ll even make it thru tonight... is there anything I can do to try and give him some nutrition or water?
SaltCrow is offline   Reply With Quote