View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 11:17 AM  
hamsterquestions
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Health issues (bloating) in relatively young syrian hamsters.

Thank you for your response!
I tried to think of all possible issues since it's now the second hamster having this. I've fed them oxbow pellets plus a small amount of seed mix daily and a dried mealworm or so. I will also feed some veggies (carrots, cauliflower etc) and I always google particular foods before feeding. From the way the bloating looks I don't think it's obesity, more like an internal issue....
They pee in the sand bath which I fill with oven heat-sterilized childrens play sand (brand new). The cage contains diy's but it's all safe I've made sure (popsicle sticks + non toxic hot glue + elmers glue) and nothing is chewed up anyhow.
My current hamster has been less active in general than my previous one who was addicted to the silent runner wheel in the cage. The bedding is also just recycled paper bits made specifically for rodents, which I replace about 7-10days. I change water regularly and rinse the bottle out too.
Is there anything here that's cause for concern? I'm just surprised both hamsters so young (3months) would display the bloating, but I suppose if it's breeding problems they could have a predisposition (they're both from the same pet store chain).
hamsterquestions is offline   Reply With Quote