View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 09:59 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Weird lesions on Dora - vet unsure 😔

I think I would tell the vet she seems to be in pain and discomfort sometimes and you would like to try her with some Metacam. There are different views on it - but as an ex nurse I think pain relief should always be used - because they can't tell you if they're in pain. Some vets think it's a must and others think it doesn't do much and is just an anti-inflammatory - but it still is a kind of pain relief. I was very upset when it was refused for our last hamster because he "might" have Cushings and it's contraindicated in Cushings. So if it was me I would say I want to try her with some Metacam to see if it relieves her discomfort.

When Charlie was refused Metacam I bought some White Willow Bark from a herbalist and scattered bits of that (it's where Aspirin comes from and is a pain relieving herb). As he was dying anyway I didn't worry about whether he might have too much of it. I am not sure if he ate any or not. I think he did as pieces disappeared.

So see how it goes and you will know if you need to help her on her way. I think pain relief can help them keep comfortable and pass naturally in their home sometimes - but if you try it and she doesn't seem relaxed and comfortable then it may be kinder to help her on her way.

It is so hard - and when they are eating and doing normal things, then normally it isn't time to help them on their way - which is why pain relief needs to be tried now in my opinion so she can keep doing normal things but have some relief.

The vet may be right if it's skin cancer - it may not be painful - but it may still cause discomfort and I wouldn't want to risk them being in pain.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote