View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 04:45 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: :( Why does things keep going wrong?

So sorry she and you are having such a hard time. As Souffle says, some female conditions can be hard to cure. Pyometra is a big worry in female hamsters and often is never fully cured due to recurring infections. You are doing all you can. Is she still enjoying food? If so you could try giving her some immune boosting foods as treats/ extras as well as her regular mix. Brazil nuts are supposed to contain something that is immune boosting - half a brazil nut once or twice a week may be liked by her and it can't do any harm. Hemp seeds are supposed to contain all vitamins so could help with immune boosting. I get the Linwoods shelled hempseeds from Holland and Barrett (they're supposed to be for humans to put on their breakfast Our hamster loves them and nibbles them up - I think they taste nutty. I put half a teaspoon out on a saucer.

Burdock is supposed to remove toxins from the blood and be full of antioxidants. You can get dried burdock root from health food shops and herbalists - I occasionally put a small piece out. However as herbs are effectively medicine you may need to check with the vet whether it's contraindicated with the antibiotic - or wait till the antibiotic is finished is probably the best thing. Our hamsters seem to like to nibble it and I like that there is something healthy and natural that can help them heal themselves. The pieces of root are very small so they can't overeat on it and they tend to only take what they want anyway.

I sent for it by post as no places that sell dried herbs/health food places near me - except Holland Barrett. Baldwins herbs have just about all herbs to buy by post and you only need an ounce or so.

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-...c-burdock-root

Here is some more info about burdock as a herb. The chinese use it as an immune remedy and it's good for infections. It is also fine for hamsters to nibble on, like dandelion roots - in moderation. A small piece scattered a couple of times a week wouldn't do any harm. This is just my opinion I am a big fan of medicinal herbs when general treatment doesn't work or isn't available and the idea that it helps the body heal itself rather than just treating symptoms.

https://www.rjwhelan.co.nz/herbs%20A-Z/burdock.html
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote