View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 04:47 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Bar spacing too big for robos?

I have the Savic Mickey 2XL for our robo - 7mm bar spacing and it's good - not too high. But it is expensive new - I already owned it. I originally went with a tank style due to the concern about bars and robos, but couldn't get on with it and much prefer him being in a cage and he seems to like it a lot too - the cage has front access which i find easier. It depends what you prefer or are used to. For a baby robo though I would go with 7mm bar spacing. What you could do is start the robo off in a smaller cage/tank until he's grown a bit and then move him up to the Alaska but it would need setting up carefully due to fall risks - probably with a full level.

If you have another cage you could start him off in. Otherwise, how about selling the Alaska and getting a Barney cage from Zooplus - it has 7mm bar spacing and is a great size. It is the same height as the Alaska so would also need a full level.

Otherwise the maxi duna multy isn't too tall and although it's top access has a huge lid so better than access from a tank. But for the cost of that you could get a Savic Mickey 2XL!

I find that size (80 x 50) good for a robo but ideally would have him in a 100 cm cage so the Barney might be an option. Unfortunately there isn't a 100cm cage with a big front door that also has small bar spacing.

Edit - if you're getting two you'd be better with a lower cage than one with a full level to avoid territorial issues. So I'd say the best options would be maxi duna multy (or zoozone 2 with meshed lid which is cheaper but lid is fiddly to open I believe), or savic mickey 2xl or a bin cage. And I wouldn't start them in a small cage and upgrade but put them straight into the one they will be saying in.

Assume you know about set up for pairs or they can fall out and end up needing separating (the fights can be serious).
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote