View Single Post
Old 12-23-2018, 07:25 AM  
lou89
Newborn Pup

Default Hamster Heaven Penthouse Issues

Hi guys,

I’ve had a Syrian hamster for a week and could use some advice regarding her using the penthouse at the top of the cage as her nest, toilet and generally the place she spends the vast majority of her time. I know it’s early days but it’s really looking like we won’t have a healthy toilet trained hamster if the penthouse remains her nest so something needs to be done.

Looking at reviews for the cage it seems like a lot of people experienced the same problem and said they just removed the thing. I’d appreciate advice for the best way to go about it though since I already tested blocking her access to the penthouse for a short period of time, it did not go well. So what would work and not stress her out?

I was thinking while she’s out of her cage I’d remove the tubes entirely (to be put back minus penthouse a few days later), put lots of bedding from the nest into the new house/hut along with a bit of food then put her back in the cage. Does that sound OK? What do I do if she freaks out about not being able to get back to the penthouse again? Will I be able to put the penthouse back in the future or is it too likely she'll go back to her current behaviour if I do that?

Also any recommendations for a new little house that hamsters typically like using as a nest (she’s completely uninterested in the 2 bright huts in the cage)?
lou89 is offline   Reply With Quote