View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 02:01 PM  
SamAndCompany
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Homemade diet questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
A pellet diet isn't ideal for any hamster but if the only way you can get a good balance of nutrients is to use a combination of different pellets than that's probably the best you can do as long as the ingredients are safe.
I wouldn't worry about dried veg really, oxbow is very high in fibre so you won't really need more of that & it's better to give fresh for the micronutrients rather than dried, non of my hams have been keen on any dried veg tbh but they all enjoy a variety of different fresh veg & have something daily.
Tofu is fine for extra protein, plain cooked chicken is good too, mealworms are high in fat but giving a few is fine, if you can find dried fresh water shrimps they're great for protein with less fat too.
It is difficult to get protein high enough with raising fat levels too much when you try to make your own diet I know, but if you give fresh veg & low fat protein like tofu & chicken it does balance out better.
Thank you! I've been chatting with people on another forum (just because our timezones are more similar) and I have a couple new options. I can get sunburst from one place online but it is expensive, and I'm going to ask my pet shop if they can order it but I'm pretty skeptical. I got a couple suggestions of where to look for dried veggies. Otherwise I feed fresh once every three days and tofu once a week with mealworms every once in a while, but I've been told dried veg is still needed and of course is nice to add. I'll be looking everywhere I can for dried crickets and I'll ask my friend who should know if anywhere in town has dried shrimp.

Honestly I can't seem to get the protein above 12% in my mix, it's that bad. Some way or another I think I'll get sunburst, I only have one hamster and he eats so little that I don't think it makes sense to do mostly homemade. So question is: I'll hopefully be able to bump up the protein in sunburst with mealworms, buckwheat, quinoa etc, but what if I did 25-35% homemade for added variety? I feel confident doing that and I already do with my mice, they seem very healthy and happy
SamAndCompany is offline   Reply With Quote