View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 09:32 AM  
rinn123
Newborn Pup

Default Syrian hamster losing hair and scabs and wounds appearing everywhere.

Syrian Hamster, almost 1 year old, female.

Last Sunday, symptoms started with a hard skin lump( like a piece of callus) on the side of her right shoulder. Then after few days on Wednesday she broke the lump and it seemed like there was some fluid which came out( made some fur stuck together). Her mouth had a small sore too and her eyes had dried up discharge(reddish brown). At this point she had a wound on her right shoulder and a sore on her mouth and dried up discharge in front of her eyes, and some dandruff looking skin on her back near to her butt.
Brought to vet on Friday, vet suspected insect bite and gave antiseptic and ointment to be applied. I cleaned her cage to ensure no insects were hiding. Used antiseptic and applied ointment on Friday afternoon and Saturday night.
On Saturday night, noticed several new wounds. Her left hind leg was almost naked, her right cheek had a scabbed wound with some hair loss. her left ear had scabby skin with hair loss and her left eye where the discharge was looked like a wound now. Her lower belly seems a little swollen and also hair loss(I'm not sure).
Vet on Sunday morning, vet took a skin sample of her left hind leg. No excessive bacteria was found, she also used black light to check for fungus. Vet prescribed antibiotics and if her condition doesn't improve, she will have to anaesthetize her for biopsy to test if she has skin cancer.

She started to run on wheel slower yesterday and a little less active than usual since yesterday where most of the other symptoms appeared.

Extra notes: I started to take care of her a month ago, as she used to belong to my friend and my friend gave her to me after she returned to her hometown. I don't have access to a specialized exotic vet here. But im currently taking her to a vet who does know about small mammals and does surgery on rabbits. She is a very tame hamster I would say, as she does not bite me and takes the medicine quite easily. I'm also new to hamsters but have done some research on them.
I also had a sand bath in her cage, which she uses as a potty. I removed it today after the vet said that they don't need sand baths, and i researched on them and realized my mistake. Could it be that she is allergic to the sand bath? It is scented and I realize that I shouldn't have bought scented sand.

Sorry as the photos are not really clear. Any advice as to what caused this or what disease is this or anything else are very well appreciated.

Pictures in order:
The wound after being cleaned (after it punctured)

Her left hind leg with significant hair loss.

Her right cheek , scabbed wound hair loss.

Left ear, hair loss dry scabby skin

Sore on right side mouth and belly hair loss and wound on left eye.
rinn123 is offline   Reply With Quote