View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 04:15 AM  
Sh4dow85
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Pepper and Miss Amber's Kallax Kage!

A quick update as the project stalled slightly!!

I'd half built up the 3x4 Kallax unit, but after a lot of thought, decided it's far too big for the space I need to put it to. It's meant to have my TV on top of it (or wall hung - I don't want sound vibrations upsetting my hams!) and it would have been awful looking up at the tv at the height it would end up at.

So last night the 3x4 unit was returned to Ikea, and I've swapped it out for the 2x4 unit I'd originally planned for when I thought about this project. It'll basically be the same as the 3x4 I'd drawn out in the original picture, just without the top level! Unfortunately this will mean that Pepper won't be able to move into the penthouse, but I'm sure she'll be fine taking over Ambers huge cage. Thankfully she's not a bar-chewer, so this is no issue.

Last night I got the unit half built up again to start working out the configuration, and redesigned the interior (see pics!).

Next steps: Getting a sheet of mdf for the back panel, a hole saw and some vents. All the inside will be covered with clear vinyl to prevent any urine soaking into the wood or getting into cracks, and I have some aquarium sealant to seal up and joins.
Also need to work out where all my internal shelving is going to go before screwing the unit together properly, as a lot of the shelves will be screwed into either the unit or the back mdf panel, so I need to pre-plan where the holes are going to be needed.

Really hoping to have this all finished by Xmas, but I also don't want to rush it and make a total mess seeing as I'm doing this all on my own!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kallax Internal Design.jpg (108.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Kallax Shelving.jpg (198.6 KB, 44 views)
Sh4dow85 is offline   Reply With Quote