View Single Post
Old 11-10-2018, 03:00 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Important info - Burgess hamster foods

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpacassei View Post
I switched all of my hamsters over to Harry Hamster recently because the last few bags of Burgess I’d bought were mostly millet and peas so I felt they weren’t getting the right nutrients. It is disappointing that instead of improving the current mix, they’ve replaced it completely.

Does anyone know a good alternative? I’m not completely happy with my hammies being on HH either with it’s high sugar content and I’m starting to contemplate making my own mix if I can’t find a good Burgess alternative.
Harry Hamster doesn't have any sugar in the ingredients

I would second the Bunny mixes for dwarf hamsters - they also contain mealworms I think (the Syrian version does). Although it's a pain getting it from Zooplus and you have to pay postage, it's not so bad if you get 2 or 3 bags at the same time and only pay one lot of postage. I get two at a time (Syrian version) and keep on in the freezer.

I think it's good that there are all in one foods (for emergencies) but we already have science selective and that is specifically for hamsters - that has also been changed recently - not sure why - small wriggly shaped pellets instead of the heart shaped biscuits. I add the odd one or two as a treat occasionally.

The Rodipet mixes vary I've found the adult syrian ones - including the new organic one, seem to have an awful lot of chopped dried herbs in and Newt leaves these and a lot of small seeds. ie he is leaving quite a lot of it - I mix it with the Bunny dream and now give the occasional science selective extras.

The "young syrian" standard Rodipet mix is ok - it's the one I used to mix with Bunny. The young Syrian organic mix is even more chock full of herbs that get left.

I am not sure what the Rodipet dwarf mixes are like - maybe Cypher knows? But it seems the Bunny mixes are the only other specific dwarf hamster mixes.

I think you can get them on ebay as well but not sure if it's from the Uk or still from Germany.

I think it's cost cutting. And suspect that's why Science Selective has changed too - maybe Brexit type thing? Or some other economic reason.

Have also meant to mention for ages - has anyone noticed Tiny Friends (ie supreme) chinchilla bathing sand has changed too?! Coarser and darker - Newt doesn't like it.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote