Old 11-02-2018, 01:15 PM  
mangoandmimi
Little Miss Tinytoes

Default Re: Chocho the robo

Yes fingers crossed no more issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS View Post
Hi

I loved your set up so much I asked for a Detolf for Christmas ... should I write Santa back and tell him I've changed my mind? I was really looking forward to it.
Oh no I didn't mean to put people off the cage! Especially if you're in Canada where there are less caging options, the detolf remains one of the best ones. I think I'm just unlucky, I've had issues with numerous cages!

Re the glass cracking - honestly I haven't heard this happen often at all. Loads of people have detolfs with zero problems. It shouldn't happen with a new detolf really, mine is quite a few years old and has been lugged around quite a bit before being used. One of the edging strips is also a bit broken which I didn't mention and I think that would've contributed to the crack.

As for the bar issue - I've only heard of baby roborovskis getting stuck through them and that was only one case I think. Shouldn't be a problem with a russian dwarf. Robos are just able to flatten themselves like pancakes amazingly well. And with a brand new detolf with presumably straight bars, it shouldn't be an issue. The gap Chocho squeezed through had widened to about 1.6cm, so no wonder it was an issue. If you did want to block the area you can see how easy it is. I rushed out to buy some stripwood for £3 and it took about 10 minutes to saw and hot glue them to all 6 bars (just a couple of dots of glue). Another potential solution which is much neater is removing the bars altogether and siliconing the detolf together. Not sure how easy that is or how sturdy it would end up but lots of people have done that too.

But personally I wouldn't worry too much about it with an adult dwarf. I just wanted to share what happened with mine as both issues aren't really talked about that much with detolfs, and it's important to know all the possible negatives of a cage you're wanting to get.
mangoandmimi is offline   Reply With Quote